Important Update - November 14, 2020

Important Update - November 14, 2020
Posted on 11/16/2020

Good Morning NPS  Parents and Guardians,

With the COVID rates continuing to rise in our community and beyond, I know many of you are wondering when/if we will move to a remote model. Many are also asking how much notice I will provide in light of last year’s sudden shutdown.  I can assure you that our school instructional model is constantly on my mind as I seek to balance staff and student safety with providing the most appropriate educational opportunities. Here are the following sources of data/information that I use to inform my decision making:

  • number of cases in our school district (28 thus far since we reopened and this includes remote, in person learners, and staff)

  • impact of COVID cases and/or quarantining on our staffing

  • any known cases of spread within the district (one case thus far due to intermittent mask compliance by a student, which has been rectified)

  • rates in our community and sources of spread (nearly all of our spread in Newington has come from recreational sports leagues, social events on evenings and weekends, and spread from one family member to another)

  • ongoing meetings and consultation with DPH and Nurse Supervisor, Mercy Hetherington 

  • consultation with Hartford Area Superintendents

  • analysis of metrics provided by SDE and DPH

As of right now and in light of our current circumstances, I am not making any changes to our current educational model. We will remain in hybrid for our secondary schools and 4 days full in person at the elementary level. Wednesdays will remain full remote for all. The only reason I would close school abruptly would be due to a significant staffing shortage. Our current mitigation strategies have allowed us to contact trace quickly and thus, we haven’t needed to close a school down for that purpose as other communities have had to do. However, as has been mentioned previously, you should continue to ready yourself for the possibility that we may need to go to a remote model at some point in the future. I will give you as much notice for this transition as the circumstances at the time allow. 

 

I also wanted to let you know that I inadvertently did not include a COVID case at Martin Kellogg in my  Wednesday update earlier this week. It necessitated the quarantining of 4 individuals.

Finally, I would like to ask for your support in the following areas as we continue to navigate this challenging time:

  • avoid any unnecessary travel to high risk locations

  • Please continue to encourage your child to comply with all of our mitigation strategies(our students are doing great)

  • if your child is ill in any way, please do not send them to school

  • Monitor your child’s social and sports activities for appropriate use of mitigation strategies

I realize these are incredibly stressful times and I want to continue to assure you that staff safety and the safety of our students will drive all my decision making. I hope you all have an enjoyable and relaxing weekend.

Be Well, 

Maureen Brummett, Ed.D

Superintendent of Schools